Running Salome-9.6.0 on Ubuntu 18-04 with WSL

Hi, I downloaded SALOME-9.6.0 for ubuntu, and unzipped the program without major problems. However, when running by type ./salome, the software starts but cannot access certain KERNEL scripts, as shown below. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

runSalome running on DESKTOP-62QJXL4
Searching for a free port for naming service: 2817 - OK
Searching Naming Service  ++++ found in 0.4 seconds
Searching /Kernel/Session in Naming Service  ++++SALOME_Session_Server: error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/awgomes/SALOME-9.6.0-UB18.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB18.04/KERNEL/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 181, in waitNSPID
    os.kill(thePID,0)
ProcessLookupError: [Errno 3] No such process

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/awgomes/SALOME-9.6.0-UB18.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB18.04/KERNEL/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 694, in useSalome
    clt = startSalome(args, modules_list, modules_root_dir)
  File "/home/awgomes/SALOME-9.6.0-UB18.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB18.04/KERNEL/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 639, in startSalome
    session=clt.waitNSPID("/Kernel/Session",mySessionServ.PID,SALOME.Session)
  File "/home/awgomes/SALOME-9.6.0-UB18.04-SRC/BINARIES-UB18.04/KERNEL/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 183, in waitNSPID
    raise RuntimeError("Process %d for %s not found" % (thePID,theName))
RuntimeError: Process 53 for /Kernel/Session not found

--- Error during Salome launch ---

I don’t have WSL installed to see if the issue can be reproduced on our side, but from the error message, it seems that you’re missing: libGLU.so.1. Use apt-file to find the package which provides this shared object file and install it. Note that you can also try to run the universal binary to see if it resolves the issue.

IMHO, you should upgrade to a more recent version, here: 9.9.0
HTH.

Hi NabilG,

Thanks a lot, I will check the new version. Can you tell me how to run the universal binary?

The universal binary “Linux Universal” , can be downloaded at this link.
SALOME is launched as it used to be launched, by running SALOME-9.9.0/salome or SALOME-9.9.0/mesa_salome
Read carefully the README file, to see if you have to uncomment one line in file salome (or mesa_salome)
Again here, you might experience issues and have to install some additional system dependencies missing on your WSL.
Finally, you can still use the windows version in your case.
HTH.

Hello wsl does not allow the use of apps with gui if you dont have instead WSLg or you use an x server. From memory the error you are getting is related to that. Why not use the windows vr? If I am correct the GUIless vr of Salome should run correctly. To test this, take a python script and do the command ./salome -t pythonscript.py and see if it runs correctly if I am correct this should run even in wsl.

I used version 9.6 via WSL to run automated CAD generation scripts, but I will evaluate the new versions. About Salome’s operation, I missed installing libGLU (sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa) and libtbb2 (sudo apt-get install libtbb2). After that, it ran normally.