Mesh refinement box on a combustion chamber geometry

Hello everyone

I am dealing with the meshing of a combustion chamber in salome. Basically the chamber is just like a rectangular box in which air and fuel enter through a hole made in one of the faces and start reacting. I would like to carry a refinement of the mesh in the flame zone of the combustion chamber. Therefore, I would like to find a tool allowing me to design a geometrical box (like a cube or a rectangle) in which the 3D mesh must be refined. However, I dont find any tool allowing me to do that in the mesh module.

I have thought of modifying the geometry to reach my goal but I guess there might be some easier way directely in the mesh module of Salome to do such a basic thing ?

Would you have any ideas to perform such an operation ?

Thanks in advance

Florentin

Hello ;

I think it’s necessary to modify the geometry to indicate the mesh refinement zone.

To do this, we need to create a circle (or other geometric shape) encompassing the hole and the desired refinement zone, then partition the original geometry.

The next step is to create a refinement group:

1. Create a face group
  2. Create an edge group with the edges of the refinement zone.

Then, in both cases, you mesh with the NETGEN-2D-1D algorithm. There are also two possibilities:

1. Create a sub-mesh (face/edge), then enter a mesh/edge size smaller than that given for the global mesh.
  2. Use the local sizes tab, then fill in the face/edge group, specifying a smaller size than that given for the global mesh.

Attached is an example of the 4 possible scenarios.
Refine-mesh-box-hole.hdf (1,7 Mo)