Install Salome on Linux without systemd

Hello
I am trying to install Salome on an Antix Linux machine. I used the universal binary. The system check complains that libudev1 is missing. Unfortunately this library appears to belong to systemd which Antix does not have. Does Salome need systemd to function or to compile ?

Does it run if you launch mesa_salome?

In principle all required libraries are embedded and for universal binary one does not need to run check system.

But still some libraries may be missing.
. To get the missing ones you can simply search for them in a CentOS7 docker and install them in system_libs.

In addition, I can read that your OS is Debian based. If this is the case, you could instead check whether one of the Debian SALOME could fit your needs .

Regards.

Hello
Thank you, it does ! I think I am satisified for now. I looked into synaptic in Antix and it appears that Antix has the library in its repository but an attempt to install it warns that a lot of installed system programs will be uninstalled, including xserver-org and similar. I thought this to be rather unwise and did not install it. Does this mean that a compilation from source should work ?

Best Regards

You could try. But first share contents of

cat /etc/os-release

to see.

Here it is:

PRETTY_NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)”
NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“12”
VERSION=“12 (bookworm)”
VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm
ID=debian
HOME_URL=
SUPPORT_URL=
BUG_REPORT_URL=

Unfortunately I may not send more than 2 links so I have removed them, they are the standard ones anyway. I know that the only difference between Antix and Debian is systemd of which libudev1 appears to be a part

Regards

Seems like your OS is a customised Debian 12 . You can first check if the DB12 archive works out of the box.

I will post the compilation prescription tomorrow.

Regards

Here is what you can do:

# ensure that python-is-python3 is installed or install it with apt
sudo apt install python-is-python3

# 0- Extract SALOME
tar zxf SALOME-9.12.0-native-DB12-SRC.tar.gz
cd  SALOME-9.12.0-native-DB12-SRC

# 1- replace PROJECT/products/salome_system.pyconf with the attached one (it contains some updates concerning the system dependencies)

# 2- check missing dependencies
sat/sat config SALOME-9.12.0-native --check_system

# 3- install with apt all missing dependencies

# 4- extract all sources
sat/sat prepare SALOME-9.12.0-native 

# 5- compile everything
./sat/sat compile SALOME-9.12.0-native --clean_all

# 6- if some product (P) compilation fails, look in LOGS/P/{cmake,make,makeinstall,script}  for log files to check the error

# 7- if everything is OK, at the end regenerate a launcher
sat/sat launcher SALOME-9.12.0-native --name salome
sat/sat launcher SALOME-9.12.0-native --use_mesa --name mesa_salome

HTH

salome_system.pyconf.txt (12.9 KB)

Thank you very much. I will try it at home later today and come back with the results so that we can document the whole thing.

Regards

Hello
here is my current attempt to compile salome DB12 from source.
To start with, I have the following information about the problematic libudev1 from Antix:

ibeudev1 via eudev is used in systemd/elogind-free antiX
libudev1 via udev is used in systemd Debian.

So, I understand that libudev1 and libeudev1 should be equivalent and interchangeable.

I follow your steps and I see the following:
Step 1: OK
Step 2: All run time missing files are installed except fftw and libudev1. fftw is nowhere to be found in the repositories. When I install the compile time dependencies though the fftw-dev is installed. A subsequent retest of the missing run time dependencies shows only libudev1 as missing. So I proceed ignoring it.
Step 3: OK
Step 4: I extract all sources upon which I get the following error:

Getting sources of the application: KO (140 / 141)
Following sources haven’t been get:
salome_system

The process goes then on to patch various applications and ends without any other error.

Should I compile in spite of the error ?

Regards

Hello
I ignored the message and compiled the whole thing. It worked. I did get some minor issues with C3D0 tests with mpirun which were simple to solve. The created launcher does not require any strange libraries any more. Thank you for the help and best Regards

sorry for the late reply:

Getting sources of the application: KO (140 / 141)
Following sources haven’t been get:
salome_system

this means that some system package is missing and needs to be installed. Seems that you managed to fix it.

Regards.