Build issue with medfile and LTO (-Werror=lto-type-mismatch)

I’m maintainer of the medfile package for the Gentoo Linux distribution. IIRC medfile itself isn’t part of Salome, but a third party software used by the project. Yet it has always been very difficult to get in contact to the actual developers. So feel free to close this report, I you feel it’s undesired. I you can point me into the right direction on how to contact the devs, I’d be thankful.

I received a bug report for the medfile package which is related to building with LTO support[1].

The package seems to use the same identifier with different types across different files. The error message is as below. A full build log is attached at the bug report. If desired, I can upload the build log here as well.

FAILED: src/libmedfwrap.so.11.1.1 
/var/tmp/portage/sci-libs/med-4.1.1/work/med-4.1.1_SRC/src/fi/medmesh.f:1373:72: error: type of ‘mmhfasr’ does not match original declaration [-Werror=lto-type-mismatch]

I can filter out the failing flags as a quick hack, but I desire it more appropriate, if the issue can be addressed by upstream devs or get a feedback about the plans on LTO compatibility for future releases.

Happy for any hints or feedback.

TIA

[1] 862900 – sci-libs/med-4.1.1 fails to compile (lto): medmesh.f:1373:72: error: type of mmhfasr does not match original declaration [-Werror=lto-type-mismatch]

thanks for the bug report. Escalating to the developer

1 Like